Parent Leadership Summit 2013
Thursday morning, May 23, 2013, St. Paul, MN
Designing a Better School System for 21st Century Minnesota
[sws_yellow_box box_size=”650″]Summit reading list:
- The Coming Revolution in Public Education
- The Secret to Fixing Bad Schools
- A Different Story about Public Education
- Why We Still Need Public Schools (pdf)
- The Test? Find More Straight-A Teachers
- Rifts Deepen Over Direction of Ed. Policy in U.S.
- The Plight of Teachers’ Unions
- And for some historical perspective – The First Race to the Top
Series of short videos on designing a healthy learning environment: A Year at Mission Hill [/sws_yellow_box]
8:30 am Registration and continental breakfast, Dunn Bros Coffee
Morning Session: Designing a Better School System for 21st Century Minnesota
Are public schools failing? Or, in a changing world, do our students need a new model? How do we deliver education to support 100 percent of our students being college or career ready? Join us in engaging our panel and audience in a thought-provoking discussion.
Presenters: Mary Cecconi and a “Deep Thinkers” Panel:
- Keith Lester, Superintendent of Schools, Brooklyn Center
- Vina Kay, Researcher and Policy Analyst, Organizing Apprenticeship Project
- Rebecca Wade, Teacher, St. Paul Public Schools
- Radious Guess, Family Engagement Specialist, Northwest Suburban Integration School District
- Dr. Keith Brooks, Professor of Education at Bethel University, with expertise in diversity and multicultural affairs
- Representative Kathy Brynaert, chief author of new assessment and alignment legislation for Minnesota
Also participating – for insights and fun – the Theater of Public Policy!
1:00 pm Optional Afternoon session: Legislative Wrap-up – Mary Cecconi
Debrief the 2013 Legislative session. How will it impact your schools? Hear about a plan to engage parent-led Legislative Action Committees to maximize effectiveness in policy making.
Summit flier – copy and share!
Cost for this day of networking and learning is just $20; scholarships are available.
Register and pay online with a credit card, or print out the form and mail to us.
Location: TIES Conference Center, 1667 Snelling Ave. N., St. Paul, MN 55108
We are proud of our sponsors for this event! Sponsoring the Summit is a great way to make a tax-deductible contribution to Parents United and show others that you (or your workplace) care about Minnesota’s public schools. Contact Ann Hobbie, email@example.com or 651-999-7391, for more information.
Lead Sponsors: ReMax Results and CKC Good Foods
Labels2Learn, Eclipse Internet Consulting, Farmers Insurance/Rosendale Agency, GiveMN, Grandparents for Education, Steve Hunt – North St. Paul School Board Member, Ideas by Design, Minnesota PTA, St. Paul Public Schools Foundation, The Theater of Public Policy, Valley Bookseller
Providing in-kind donations:
Breadsmith, Common Good Books, Dunn Bros Coffee, Hampden Park Co-op, Izzy’s Ice Cream,
Rustica Bakery, Velasquez Family Coffee, Wet Paint