This information is replicated from the MDE website as a resource for parent advocates. Please visit http://education.state.mn.us/mde/index.html for other resources.
The Early Learning Council (ELC) makes recommendations to the Governor, Children’s Cabinet and Legislature, including proposed legislation on how to effectively create a high-quality early childhood system in Minnesota to ensure all children arrive at kindergarten school-ready. The Council was created by Governor Dayton’s Executive Order 11-05.
The Council is responsible for fulfilling the duties required by federal and state statutes. Duties of the Council required by federal law are described in the Head Start Act of 2007 and the Minnesota Legislature. See Resources to read more.
The Early Learning Council (ELC) consists of up to 30 members, including the state Head Start Collaboration Director, and one representative each from the Minnesota Departments of Education, Health, and Human Services. The governor, the Minnesota House of Representatives and the Minnesota Senate each appoint members.
The Early Learning Council may establish committees or work groups for specific tasks. These work groups make recommendations to the full Council for decision. Specific meeting information can be found on the MDE Calendar. Search by title for the Early Learning Council.
- Early Learning Council Members – 11/20/14
Early Learning Council Members.
- Early Learning Council Guiding Principles – 5/31/12
Early Learning Council’s vision statement and guiding principles as they provide direction and advice to Governor Dayton, the legislature, and other state leaders on early childhood issues.
- Charges of the Early Learning Council (ELC) – 11/21/11
A listing of the charges for the Early Learning Council put forth in federal and state legislation.
- 10 Essential Elements of Effective Early Care and Education Programs – 11/2/11
This document highlights 10 elements research has found makes an effective early care and education program for children who are at risk.
- Early Learning Council Agenda – December 9, 2014 – 11/25/14
- Early Learning Council approved minutes – September 30, 2014 – 11/20/14
- Early Learning Council approved minutes – August 20, 2014 – 11/20/14
- Early Learning Council approved minutes – August 5, 2014 – 11/20/14
- Early Learning Council approved minutes – April 8, 2014 – 11/20/14
- Early Learning Council approved minutes – February 11, 2014 – 11/20/14
- Early Learning Council approved minutes – February 12, 2013 – 2/12/13
Early Childhood Indicators of Progress: Minnesota’s Early Learning Guidelines for Birth to 3 provides a framework for understanding and communicating a common set of developmentally appropriate expectations for infants and toddlers. View the Guidelines on the Minnesota Department of Human Services website.
Reports and Plans
- Early Learning Data Linkage Report – 3/1/13
This report describes the work done to support Minnesota’s ability to measure outcomes for young children.
- Layering Funding Streams Grant Evaluation Report – 1/24/13
The evaluation report for four communities – Mountain Lake, Fergus Falls, Roseville, and Rochester – who received a grant to layer early childhood funding streams to increase programming for low income children and their families.
- Inventory of Early Childhood Services Early Care and Education Programs – 2/24/12
The Inventory of Early Childhood Services identifies and describes programs and initiatives funded by the state. Budget allocations and programs participant profiles are also included.
- Early Childhood 2009 Annual Report – 2/1/12
The 2009 annual report for Minnesota’s Early Childhood Advisory Council describes progress made and potential next steps.
- Supplemental Application for American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) Funding – 11/9/11
This application outlines professional development strategies and public awareness for Minnesota’s early learning standards.
- Application for American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) – 11/3/11
Funding for State Advisory Council This application outlines the activities to be conducted utilizing ARRA funding to support the strategic plan of the Early Childhood Advisory Council.
- Early Childhood 2010 Annual Report – 10/25/11
The 2010 annual report for Minnesota’s Early Childhood Advisory Council describes progress made and potential next steps.
- Children’s Resources Report – 10/25/11
The Children’s Resources report from Minnesota Management and Budget (MMB) analyzes the amount of funds allocated to children under the age of 21. Companion to the Inventory of Early Childhood Services.