“A Nation at Risk” Twenty Five Years Later – In 1983, A Nation at Risk misidentified what is wrong with our public schools and consequently set the nation on a school reform crusade that has done more harm than good, CATO Institute, April 2008.
Confessions of a “No Child Left Behind” Supporter – An interview with Sandy Kress, a lawyer and former school board member who, as a domestic policy advisor in the White House, served as President Bush’s chief negotiator during the original NCLB debate (pdf version), Education Next, Spring 2007.
Education at Risk – Nearly a quarter century ago, “A Nation at Risk” hit our schools like a brick dropped from a penthouse window. One problem: The landmark document that still shapes our national debate on education was misquoted, misinterpreted, and often dead wrong, Edutopia – a publication of the George Lucas Educational Foundation (GLEF), March 2007.
No Child Left Behind and Desegregation
10 Things Every American Needs to Know About Brown v. Board of Education – Education Trust, May 2004.
Thousands of black teachers lost jobs - In 1954, about 82,000 black teachers were responsible for teaching 2 million black children. In the 11 years immediately following Brown, more than 38,000 black teachers and administrators in 17 Southern and border states lost their jobs, USA TODAY, April 2004.
Brown versus Board of Education, College Board Review, Fall 2003.
Thank You to our Sponsors
I’m a public school graduate…
Photojournalist Wing Young Huie credits a high school teacher for developing his interest in literature, which led to a distinguished... Read More...
Parents United Updates
Subscribe to receive weekly updates during the legislative session.
Our Daily News Picks
- Anti-bullying bill continues on its tortured path - March 4, 2014
- St. Paul parents hope to keep momentum after teachers contract deal - March 3, 2014
- Kohn: The Poor Get Worksheets - March 3, 2014
- Minnesota School Year Requirements in 2014 - February 25, 2014
- High schools confront social media minefield - February 23, 2014
- Minnesota legislative session sets stage for fierce campaign battle - February 23, 2014
- Testing Resistance and Reform Spring Launched - February 21, 2014
- Minnesota Aims to Ratchet Down Achievement Gap - February 21, 2014