“A Nation at Risk” Twenty Five Years Later – In 1983, A Nation at Risk misidentified what is wrong with our public schools and consequently set the nation on a school reform crusade that has done more harm than good, CATO Institute, April 2008.
Confessions of a “No Child Left Behind” Supporter – An interview with Sandy Kress, a lawyer and former school board member who, as a domestic policy advisor in the White House, served as President Bush’s chief negotiator during the original NCLB debate (pdf version), Education Next, Spring 2007.
Education at Risk – Nearly a quarter century ago, “A Nation at Risk” hit our schools like a brick dropped from a penthouse window. One problem: The landmark document that still shapes our national debate on education was misquoted, misinterpreted, and often dead wrong, Edutopia – a publication of the George Lucas Educational Foundation (GLEF), March 2007.
No Child Left Behind and Desegregation
10 Things Every American Needs to Know About Brown v. Board of Education – Education Trust, May 2004.
Thousands of black teachers lost jobs - In 1954, about 82,000 black teachers were responsible for teaching 2 million black children. In the 11 years immediately following Brown, more than 38,000 black teachers and administrators in 17 Southern and border states lost their jobs, USA TODAY, April 2004.
Brown versus Board of Education, College Board Review, Fall 2003.
Parents United Updates
Subscribe to receive weekly updates during the legislative session.
Our Daily News Picks
- $1 Billion Surplus! The good news and the not so good news… - February 27, 2015
- Minnesota graduation rates are up, but 2020 goal will be a steep climb - February 25, 2015
- White House threatens veto of GOP bill to fix maligned No Child Left Behind education law - February 25, 2015
- Leaders seek course reversal on lagging support for American Indian students - February 25, 2015
- Key committee rejects universal, all-day preschool bill - February 24, 2015
- Noam Chomsky on the Dangers of Standardized Testing - February 21, 2015
- Minnesota lawmakers aim to revamp seniority rules on teacher layoffs - February 21, 2015
- Mix high school with higher ed to aid Minnesota students - February 20, 2015